WHAT DOES AN AVERAGE WEEK LOOK LIKE AT ABBEY ROAD INSTITUTE?
The most frequently asked question about the Advanced Diploma in Music Industry is how intensive is it? The answer is: be prepared to spend a lot of time working on music! As a Full-time student, you will have a daily timetable of lectures with our core team as well as regular lectures and masterclasses with industry experts.
The Institute is open six days a week, and we encourage you to use the studios and equipment as much as possible to make the most of your time at Abbey Road Institute. This means you can be working and recording during the evenings and weekends in addition to your timetabled lectures and workshops.
WHO STUDIES THE ADVANCED DIPLOMA? IS THE COURSE RIGHT FOR ME?
Our Advanced Diploma is an accredited, registered training program which will give you the knowledge, skills, and access to the professional networks needed to drive you forward in the audio production and music industry. We encourage applications from students from diverse backgrounds and musical interests. You will need to demonstrate the required level of musical literacy as detailed in our entry requirements. The course is intensive and we encourage you to apply if you are passionate about the subject, driven to work hard and want to immerse yourself in a dynamic, professional studio environment.
WHAT KINDS OF JOBS DO ABBEY ROAD INSTITUTE GRADUATES GO ONTO AFTER THEY STUDY?
Our alumni have been working and creating through many diverse industry pathways. These roles include work at Studios 301, freelance work, live events, post-production and more.
Check out the new Alumni section of our website where you can learn more about our homegrown and global alumni who are contributing to the future of the music industry and carving their own way with confidence.
WHAT SHOULD I INCLUDE IN MY APPLICATION FOR THE ADVANCED DIPLOMA?
Your application is your opportunity to demonstrate that you meet the entry requirements necessary to study and succeed. So that we can assess your suitability for study and offer you an interview, you will need to supply us the following documents:
- A Music Portfolio (ideally four productions in which highlight your skills as either a performer, producer, programmer, engineer, songwriter etc). Please label the portfolio or submit further documentation to explain your role in each production. If you don’t have 4 yet please submit what you can. We do not expect to receive high-quality productions but are simply looking to gauge your level of music comprehension and experience.
- Copies of previous academic qualifications.
- Music qualifications – if you don’t have a formal music qualification please state your level of music knowledge and experience in your covering letter.
- A cover letter. This is where you can explain your motivation to study, career goals and provide further explanation about your background (recordings, composing, performances etc). You should also explain your musical abilities, eg. which instrument you play, what level of music comprehension you have.
- Your Curriculum Vitae demonstrating your work and/or educational background.
- Copy of photographic ID, this is usually a scan of your passport or drivers license.
- NOTE: If you do not meet any of the above criteria please contact the Institute for more information on Alternate Entry.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE ADVANCED DIPLOMA?
The application process for the Advanced Diploma is straightforward. You can start via our online application portal here. You will need to complete all of the necessary questions and upload supporting documents. All applicants will be required to attend an interview with one of our engagement staff. If you are applying from out of state or a regional location, we can interview you on Skype or a similar platform.
We will notify you of the outcome of your application within a few days of your interview. If you have any questions or need any support with the online application process please contact our Admissions team who will be very happy to help.
I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT, CAN I APPLY TO ABBEY ROAD INSTITUTE?
Unfortunately, Abbey Road Institute is not currently able to sponsor visas for international students. You will only be able to study with us if you do not need a study visa to study in Australia. We expect that this will change in the future, so please feel free to let us know you are interested in coming to study from overseas and we will keep you up-to-date on our international student status. Some foreign nationals already in Australia are able to undertake studies depending on their visa sub-class. For more information, speak to the Department of Home Affairs or one of our admissions team.
Do you have any other questions?
We are more than to happy to help with whatever you need, so contact us at any time to chat with one of our team.